Saturday, December 30, 2006

Custer State Park, SD - July 2003

If you like nature and wildlife this is the place to be. There are many drives in the area and wildlife abounds. There are also lots of lakes and streams and plenty of fish.Well marked hiking trails are throughout the park. For two weeks I tried to take advantage of all of it.

The bison herds are traffic stoppers whenever they are located. Two tourists got too close while I was in the park and will have scars to prove it.



This antelope rested on a hillside while I was on one of my many drives through the park. This time I was on what else but Wildlife Loop.
.
A visit to the Badger Clark cabin, the Badger Hole, to see how people lived in the area before it was a park was a treat. He was the poet laureate of SD. The trail behind the cabin provided a great hike up through the pine forest.


French Creek is one of the main streams running through the park. This was alongside a little picnic area where I stopped to go geocaching.

I spent most of one day walking on the 6 mile trail alongside the stream at the Grace Coolidge area fly fishing the dammed ponds along the way. The trail goes through the woods to Center Lake 3 miles away.






Big horn sheep don't mind taking the road.

No comments: