
From Quartzite some of the WINs went to Ajo, Arizona for the Fiddlers' Contest. This is one of my favorite town finds in the past several years. I spent the first night in Frank's backyard in Ajo. There I met up with Lois and Ardie who were visiting the Elks' Lodge.
The next day I moved out to BLM land and camped with the WINs who were mingled with another group, but we still had circle at 4. I got there before the others and went to the end of the road and cooked a fine meal in the dutch over. But, I decided it was too remote and later joined the group.
I kept going back into town to explore. The sun was bright and the architecture unique. I went to a bazaar at the church and a craft sale at the high school. The plaza was a friendly area with a library on one side and the internet cafe on the other, where they had wifi for free.
I didn't enjoy the desert camping that much and decided to move to the Ajo Country Club for 4 days for the Fiddlers' Contest. It was a good decision but before long the parking lot was full. They charge a small camping fee and then have contests and programs inside as well as a bar and small meals. I really enjoyed the week in Ajo and have more photos.

No comments:
Post a Comment